In today’s world, where most of us live in nuclear families and juggle with our daily home priorities, we wish to get a magic stick which can make everything smoother. Same holds true for our professional lives! Working on multiple tasks with terrific deadlines, we sometimes find ourselves daydreaming of a magical solution that can help us in finishing our tasks faster.
Well, for your home tasks, we will find a solution soon ;), but a magic stick for your professional tasks is already here – Microsoft Office 365, a cloud based business productivity suite. 🙂 MDSC1 offers unified communication platform – Microsoft Office 365 in UAE and across the globe. Read how this business productivity suite that comes with a number of beneficial tools makes your professional life easier.
When you buy Office 365 online, you get Skype for Business as a part of the Office 365 suite of products and with it, you get endless possibilities to collaborate via online meetings, message instantly, monitoring and more, anywhere and anytime.
Below is a compilation of Skype for Business tips &tricks which will make any beginner or expert user of Skype more productive and efficient.
- Sharing a PowerPoint presentation One of the effective and attractive ways to get your views/ thoughts/ arguments across the people is via a PowerPoint presentation, as it gives your ideas a visual makeover in a highlighted and organized manner.
Follow below steps to schedule an online meeting from within PowerPoint using Skype for Business by following:
- Slide Show >> Present Online >> Skype for Business. (Or, you can also opt for File >> Share >> Present Online )
- Click on Skype for Business and it will open up a list of active Skype for Business conversations and scheduled (within 30 minutes) Skype for Business meetings.
- If you want to start a new Skype meeting, you can do that also, right away (Invite attendees by choosing Invite More People)
- Click OK and begin your presentation.
- Playing video from Skype for Business meetings Insert video in PowerPoint slide, then upload the PowerPoint to the business meeting and finally play the video. (Keep your files < 50MB)
- Insert video in the PowerPointInsert >> Video >> Video on My PC
Double click the video that you want to insert in the slide (in the Insert Video box). Save your PowerPoint file.
- Insert video in the PowerPointInsert >> Video >> Video on My PC
- Upload the PowerPoint Click on the presentation (monitor) icon in the Skype for Business, and then click Present PowerPoint Files. To upload the presentation, double click on it.
- Play the videoClick on Play to start the video.
Recording and sharing a Skype for Business meeting
To record a meeting:
- Click on the More Options button, and select Start Recording.
- To pause, resume, or stop the recording, use the controls at the bottom of the screen.
- Click Stop Recording when done.
You get a message when the recording is ready. You can click the alert to open Recording Manager to play the recording and share with others.
- Making Outlook signature, phone numbers and Skype for Business addresses clickableTo make your phone number and address clickable:
Add TEL: as prefix to a phone number and SIP: to a URL and they will become click to dial for phone numbers and click to IM for Skype for Business addresses where there is HTML content in windows.
- Transferring a call using Skype for BusinessHave you ever faced the situation when you are on an urgent call, but suddenly you need to leave your office and cannot abort the conversation? The way out is to transfer the call to your cell phone:
- Point to the phone/mic icon in the call window.
- Click on the Transfer Call tab.
- Now choose one of the two options:
- Click one of your numbers, under My Numbers- numbers that were added to your Skype for Business account. OR
- Click Another Person or Number under Other Options. Select a person, or type a number in the bar, and click on OK.
Making and receiving a video call using Skype for Business
With camera and computer’s speakers along with headsets or microphone, you can make face-to-face video calls with your contacts.
- Find a contact in your Contacts list or find the person by typing a name in the search box.
- Click on the Video icon after you point to the selected contact’s picture.
An alert pops up on the selected contact’s screen, which he/she can use to accept or ignore the request.
In case, the request is accepted, the conversation window expands to display the video.
- Searching and segregating contacts in groupsIt’s very simple to find and connect with your teammates/ workers in Skype for Business by just conducting a simple search of the Skype directory.
- Type the person’s Skype Name, full name, or email address in the search box.
- Click on the Skype Directory tab to conduct a search in the directory.
- To make it easier and quicker to search someone, you can add him/her to one of your groups:
For that, right-click on the person’s picture and Add to Favorites or Add to Contacts List. Once he signs into Skype and accepts the request sent by you, you can start a conversation with him.
- Call MonitoringCall Monitoring is another popular feature in Skype for Business. With this feature, you can move backward and forward across a full Skype window, while participating in the call. A compact version allows you to monitor call progress continuously, while focusing on other tasks.
Minimize the main conversation window during the call – audio/video, the compact call monitor window will appear as shown below.
- Changing the presence statusInformation of your presence is the quickest way to show your availability status to other people. Your presence status is however automatically set, based on your outlook calendar but still you can reset your status, manually. So to change your status –
- Click on the status menu drop-down just below your name on the Skype for Business main window.
- Click on the status you want to show to other people.
If you want to revert from the status set, just click the status menu and then click on the Reset Status.
- Listening to your voicemail in Skype for Business Your saved voice mails in Skype for Business and Outlook can be quickly checked in Skype for Business.
Your voicemail message is delivered to you as an email attachment and is accessible from the Skype for Business app on your PC, mobile or desktop phone.
The Phone tab in the Skype for Business main window displays the number of your messages, whenever you have a new voice mail message.
- To see your messages, click on the Phone tab.
- Click the arrow to Play or Pause on a voice mail picture area.
- Click on the More Options, and select one option such as:
- Call the contact or Start a Video Call with him/her.
- Open Item in Outlook provides more information about the call.
- Delete Item deletes the voice mail from Skype for Business.
Please share if you have more Skype tips and tricks. Leave your comments, doubts and likes.